Sunday, September 23, 2012

Chart Plotter & New Radar

We finally moved out of the 19th century on Mintaka -- we installed a chart plotter.  We've never had one before, and I never felt the need for one.  Still don't feel a need for it, but Garmin gave me such a good deal on one, along with a new radar, that I just couldn't refuse.  It's been fun playing with it the past month, and I have to admit that it's a nice tool -- really lessens the navigational workload.  I just hope I don't grow dependent on it, like so many others.  I think paper charts are nicer for planning, and for a larger view, and of course for greater accuracy and reliability, but the plotter is nice for moment-by-moment use in the cockpit.  I mounted it up under the new hardtop.  The new radar is also great.  It's a high definition digital unit, and the display is soooo much crisper than the ancient analog one.

No comments:

Post a Comment